- Client: Indy Racing League
- Product: Indy Racing Northern Light Series
- Price Point: Tailored to the individual events
- Objectives: To create public awareness and educate the general public regarding the IRL Northern Light Series, and to boost attendance at the individual races.
The Indy 500 is one of the world’s most watched auto racing events. Held annually on Memorial Weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it is the star of the Indy Racing League’s Northern Light Series.
Although most people are familiar with this prestigious race, it became obvious to the Indy Racing League that many were not aware of the other 12 races that make up the Series. Recognizing this need for public awareness, the Indy Racing League employed Script to Screen to produce an infomercial that would educate the general public, entice newcomers, and boost attendance at the individual races.
To demonstrate the excitement of this sport, the infomercial was filmed at several race tracks, including the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and it features spectacular race photography shot from the sidelines and in-car cameras. Interviews with many of the race drivers, including the current champion, Buddy Lazier, and well-known race celebrities Al Unser, Jr., and Eddie Cheever, Jr., illustrated the accessibility of the drivers to the general public, something that is unique to Indy racing.
The infomercial aired on regional sports cable and local network affiliates approximately six weeks prior to each race. As a result of the infomercial, overall race attendance increased by over 25 percent, and produced sold-out events in several locations.
- Increased attendance from 25%—50% at each race
- Sold out four races, the most in League history